Sunday, March 15, 2009

Copeland Savings: Part One

I am a girl on a mission!! Watch out...here I come! haha

Our finances have taken a beating this year with me getting laid off and losing our great insurance coverage (WHEN I WAS ON MATERNITY LEAVE!!), the pay cuts from Lee's company and the addition of little man. Lee is working extra side jobs and I have taken on a couple extra side jobs...but I still thought we could do more to help with our budget. I have read some blogs and done some (mini) research on cutting coupons...but was terrified! I was scared of not doing it right and then getting to the register and having the cashier glare at me for wasting her time. One of my friends from high school, Leigh Ann, is a pro at this and started a blog giving all of us "first timers" tips and advice. You should check out her blog Half Baked - it really tells you what to do step by step.

I followed her directions and got my Sunday paper early on Saturday afternoon. I thought it would take me forever but it wasn't that bad. I don't have a 3 ring binder yet and clear sleeves to put all my coupons in so I just took 2 ziplock bags and labeled them "FOOD" and "HOUSEHOLD" - coupons are fine in there for the time being. I knew it would be best for me to start small and focus on 2 stores - Kroger (where I normally shop) and Publix. I planned my menu for the week based on what I already have here and what was on sale at the two stores. I tried to find things that were on sale and then had a coupon for - double savings! I was so excited and boy did I do GREAT on my first trip!

Here is what I got at Publix:

They have select items each week for BOGO (Buy One Get One Free) and alot of those items this week were things that we eat. **NOTE: I refuse to buy things we don't normally eat or like just b/c they are on sale or I have a coupon for. I feel like I will get discouraged and not get the satisfaction I need to continue this process each week.**

BOGO Items: Cheese Its, Honey Nut Cheerios, Lays Chips, Barilla Spaghetti, Bertolli Pasta Sauce, Kraft Dressings/Marinades, Thomas English Muffins

SALE Items: Eggo Waffles, Tomato Soup (4 pack), Viva Papertowels (8 rolls)

COUPON Items: Energeizer Batteries (for Eli's swing!), Gum (FREE!!), Baby Food (8 packs of 2), Ziplock bags

Publix $.01 item of the week: Tortilla Chips

All this for $47.01!!!! I saved $36.21!!!

Also - the great thing is that most of these items will last us a couple weeks so divide that value over two or three weeks and it is even better. Take a look!


Check back for my post on Kroger and my consignment sale finds!

6 comments:

Mary Hudgins Balicki said...

Look at you, Little Momma!
That's awesome!!!
Thanks for sharing your tips.
:)

Melinda Williams Moore said...

You actually plan your meals for the week? I am impressed! Cass is now convinced of the world of coupons and we are going to get on that savings train soon.

Leslie said...

You go girl!!! I have also been trying to save $$ at the grocery store. I am cuttin coupons and go to the site southernsavers.com . I thave been very helpful if you aren't familiar with it.

Rebekah said...

Wow! I didn't know you have 3 jobs, I am impressed that you get all of "it" done and take on budget slashing tactics, too. Mommies everywhere are beaming in admiration!

Danielle said...

Haha - I do have 3 jobs currently but I don't know if I am getting it "ALL" done. :)

Nicole said...

Hey Danelle,
(it's Nicole, we used to work at Manor Homes together)
I just became a stay at home mom and am trying to save money too. I know you don't live near me, but in Griffin there is a place called Wilson's Warehouse. They sell items that may have gotten banged up during shipping and they always have a ton of name brand stuff that is perfectly fine if you don't mind a weird shaped box!
I get a ton of our staple items there for about 1/4 the cost at the regular store.
If you're looking for some great deals, check it out! But be warned, it's a hole in the wall warehouse, but it's run by an awesome Christian family.